Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Feeding Frenzy

Hit Counter



Curtis and I have become enamoured of feeding and watching birds and squirrels who come to our feeders (this is a certified "old people" hobby).


We are so into it we have named two of our daily visitors. The two crows in the picture above. There are other animals in the picture but I am sure you can identify the crows.....no one needs a bird watching guide book for that :)


Well, these are named Heckle and Jeckle. Which is which? Well, Heckle is on the right and Jeckle is on the left....or maybe it is the other way around....it is kinda hard to tell crows apart.


Sometimes, they bring their sidekick Speckle with them. Not today.


Last week on may way to town I saw them in my neighbors driveway.... I was vaclempt; they were cheating on us. But they were feasting on road kill which happily does not occur everyday so they are back with us; maybe because my husband puts out fresh food EVERY morning.



Okay, so now you see our other friend "Squirrel De Solie" (as in Circ de Solie which I can't spell either.)


Said squirrel loves to visit our "Squirrel Proof Feeder". He has evidently not read the label or doesn't believe it is squirrel proof. He tries every trick in the book to get into it (to our great amusement).


He is truly a candidate for said circus; when the bird bath freezes, he ice skates on it. I will try to get a picture of this feat but you know it is warming up (it is 23 this morning) so it may be too late; but I will try.


So for those of you who think retirement is boring.....au contrare....mother nature brings us hours of enjoyment and we don't have to leave the house to enjoy it. Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents have the very same hobby! But so do George and I! Neither my daddy nor George can tolerate the squirrels so there's a lot of target practice going on.

Nana Time said...

We used to have target practice here too but my neighbor (a man) convinced Curtis "The squirrels gotta eat, too" so he has put down his weapons for now. Cats however are another story :)