Thursday, June 30, 2011

Follow Along on Our Journey

Fifty-five years ago, give or take a year, I had the privilege of accompanying my parents on their annual trip to New Hampshire.  Today, Hubs and I are taking off to retrace their steps, more or less.

Every year my parents went to NH for ten days.  It was the only vacation any one in the family ever took.  To be fair, my parents owned a beach house on the Chesapeake Bay and Mom and us kids went there the day school was out for the summer and returned the day before school began in the fall.  So in reality we kids had a three month vacation.  Dad only came down on Wednesday and Saturday so he did not have a vacation.  Mom did not like the beach, did not swim or relish doing without the conveniences of home.  (Think dishwasher, washer, dryer and maid.) So our days at the beach were not a vacation for her.

But every summer they made sandwiches and thermoses of coffee and headed out around 3 am for New Hampshire. I remember tales of Mom having to sing to keep Daddy awake as they crossed Hogback Mountain in the early hours of the next day.

They stayed in the home of friends in a little town called Newport.  Hubs and I will attempt to find someone who remembers them when we go to Newport,

So stay tuned and follow us on our trip down memory lane.

What kinds of vacations did your parents take?  Did you go with them?  Did you like them?

2 comments:

Ashli said...

Glad you got there safe. We had a nice visit with G-Grand. She was tickled to see us and we took her out for a great BBQ dinner and I got to see and talk to Dale, too.

Hope to hear and see more of your trip! Love ya!

Atir said...

Scout, Princess and I are all glad you made it safe.