I got a call last week asking me to come back to Plainview Elementary, where I was Principal back in 2001, to work with some Kindergartners who needed extra help.
How could I say "no" to the sweetest kids at the best school in the universe?
It was surprising to me how many things had changed in ten seemingly short years.
- Now children have breakfast in the classroom. Not sure where that idea came from or the whys.
- All classroom doors are locked all the time. This is to prevent intruders. It would seem easier to lock the outside doors instead.
- Little or no outside recess after their kindergarten year. Not before school....or during school.
- Kindergarten is now First Grade. Back in the day when I taught ktg. we played, sang, cooked, painted, etc... Now we are working hard on skills. Reading. Writing. Rithmetic. Why?
- First Grade is now Second Grade. Get it?
What are your best school memories?