Saturday, July 31, 2010

Empty Nest Syndrome + Nan Guilt

While convalescing from Empty Nest Syndrome I watched Valentine's Day last night.. Mary Bailey had recommended it and she was right; it was a great chick flick. Julia Roberts, Ashton Kutcher, Patrick Dempsey, Taylor Swift, Queen Latifa....practically anybody who is anybody is in this film.

Now why did I have ENS (Empty Nest Syndrome)? Son Todd and his family spent the week with us :) The kids and I went to VBS (Vacation Bible School) with me every morning and swimming every afternoon. In between we all worked on puzzles (three completed thank you) laughed, talked, watched some tv (Baseball for Todd and Dad....make that the Atlanta Braves who lost every game while they were here :( I really felt like a modern day version of the Waltons (my favorite show ever). So it felt really quiet and lonesome after they left yesterday. But as someone famous once said, "When you leave after a visit, it is better for people to wish you had stayed than to wish you had never come".
Here is Michael with the map he made during VBS. I saved some of his other crafts to put in his scrapbook. This is the last year he can go as a child to our VBS but he can come help with the younger children. He thinks that would be fun.
Actually, I do think it is good to include the preteens and teens as helpers. They are extra hands and the kids look up to them. Good to practice serving...eh Mary Bailey?

Here is Meagan. I can't remember the name of our theme this year.....maybe Adventure on the High Seas? I know it included a big ship which they constructed on the stage(?) at the front of the church. (Stage seems like the wrong word, platform?.....anyway where the choir and preacher and piano etc.. usually are). It was really amazing how real the ship looked. Then we had a funeral at the church one day this week and it all had to come down and be put back......Arg Matey!
Did you go to VBS as a child? What do you remember about it?


No comments: